DEAGOSTINI STUDIO SCALE MILLENNIUM FALCON: Weathering

Its been a long, long project for me, but its finally complete. Except for a few interior bits, but I'm not going to worry about those yet. 

I went over my painting process in the previous post. Now on to weathering, where the Falcon becomes the Falcon.

The first step for weathering the Falcon was to apply an oil wash. I used, appropriately, Starship Filth by 502 Abteilung. I thinned it with oil thinners and covered the entire model in it. I didn't concern myself with an even coat. I wanted to get a noticeable variation in the amount of wash on different panels. This helps give the model a very worn and weathered look. I check some reference photos of the filming model and my post-wash look seems to be inline with the look of that model.

The wash being applied. The mandible hasn't received a coat of oil paint yet.

The wash being applied. The mandible hasn't received a coat of oil paint yet.

After the wash had ample time to dry I pulled out my airbrush and went to town. I used the smallest airbrush I own for this detail work. I filled it with Vallejo Game Air Cold Grey. I set up my tablet with the reference photos and started to shade different areas of the model.

I'm going to break from my usual step by step description and explain what was done to accomplish the effect in each of the following photos. Unless otherwise noted, all airbrushing was done using the Vallejo Cold Grey.

20180222_161441.jpg

There were two things done in the above photo. First, there are dozens of small marks over the Falcon. I recreated these with, and I'm almost positive they use the same technique at ILM, a Sharpie. 

The filming model also had shading that came to an abrupt stop. I used post-it notes and lightly shaded the panel using the post-it as a mask.You can barely tell paint has been applied until you pull up the post-it. This effect was repeated in many, many places.

20180222_180312.jpg

I shaded the bottom right panel by hand using the airbrush. Streaking was accomplished with oil paint. I used Starship Filth here. First I brushed on a thin layer of oil thinner. Then I took a clean brush and gently pulled the dot downwards. For the underside I pulled the dot upwards, as that would be downwards when the model was turned the right side up again.

20180223_172517.jpg

I shaded the section below the turret with the airbrush. Note that I had very little paint flow when airbrushing these effects. This one was built up with many passes. You can also see some sharing done with the airbrush on the details near the turret.

The streaking here was accomplished as described above.

You can also see a few scorch marks in this photo. I took a paint brush and coated it in Starship Filth. I then cleaned off the brush much like you would do if dry brushing. When most of the paint had been removed from the brush I lightly stippled the brush on the model building up the scorch mark.

20180223_172526.jpg

Several previously described methods were used here for the scorch marks and the streaking. For the rust streaks I used 502 Abteilung German Ochre. I highlighted a few of the details near the top with the airbrush. I also went over the grey panels with the airbrush to add some variation to the paint. The grey strip near the top left was done using post-its as a mask and lightly spraying with the airbrush.

20180223_172539.jpg

I started with the airbrush, highlighting details and darkening areas using my reference photos as a guide. The streaking from the engines was done using the airbrush. I then dry brushed over the paint using Starship Filth.

I dry brushed the rust spots using the German Ochre oil paint, slowly building up the layers until the desired effect was achieved. Most of the rust is on the bottom and sides of the model, but there a few rust spots on the top.

20180223_172547.jpg

The Falcon has a lot of damage. These rather large blast marks are some of the most noticeable on the top. I roughened up the holed that came with the kit to make them look more realistic. I painted them with Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black, After that was dry I lightly sprayed over them with the airbrush, mostly focusing on the areas around the damage to build up a scorched effect. Next I dry brushed on some Mr Metal Stainless. Finally, I used the Tamiya weathering powders (soot, to be specific) and finished the scorch marks. 

All of the above process were repeated over the entire model until I was happy with how the model looked. And I must say, I think it looks great. I am very happy with the way it turned out. I'll post a detailed gallery soon.

20180223_180316.jpg

Now all I have to do is figure out where to put this thing...