REVELL 1/48 B-1B PART 3: Bays and Wings

Now that the cockpit has been assembled it is time to move onto the rest of the B-2B. While this is a large aircraft, the most complex part of the assembly is now out off the way - excluding the after market landing gear. The next section to be assembled is the rear landing gear bay.

20180120_144848.jpg

As you can see in the above photo there are a lot of ejector pin marks that need to be removed. These were rather large too, so they took a bit of time to sand down.

20180120_145852.jpg

After they were removed I glued on the photo etch details. They add a lot more visual interest to the landing gear bay, and you'll actually be able to see some of those details, unlike the cockpit. As I mentioned in a post about my favorite tools, I cut out the photo etch pieces using a #19 x-acto blade and a small ceramic tile. I gently sanded down any gate marks with a sanding stick being careful not to bend the piece.

20180120_233437.jpg

The rear landing gear bay is made of six separate pieces. There is a good amount of detail in these parts too, for such an old kit.

20180121_151427.jpg

Some parts click in nicely, but others were warped from sitting in the box for many, many years. I needed to hold the sub-assembly together with tape while the glue cured. 

20180121_164723.jpg

It was around this time when I made the decision to keep the bomb bay doors closed. The model comes with parts for AGM-69 SRAM missiles that are no longer in service. These wouldn't work for my modern B-2B, so I decided to save myself a few hours of building bombs and keep the doors closed. I could have spent the time to find upgraded munitions and scratch built a few components but I didn't feel like it.  I built the bomb bays because I thought that they would add some structural support to the long fuselage. I might have the bomb bay doors open but empty, but I'll make that decision later in the build.

20180121_164553.jpg

I painted the rear landing gear bay using Vallejo Model Air White, the same color used for the front landing gear bay. 

20180122_102829.jpg

I weathered the landing gear bay before I glued it to the underside of the fuselage. I started by dry brushing Mr Metal Stainless. I mixed up an oil wash using Abteilung German Ochre and applied it to all surfaces. I also hand painted a few small details using the Stainless steel color.

20180122_141707_HDR.jpg

finally, I glued the landing gear bay and the bomb bays to the underside of the fuselage.

20180122_180708.jpg

Next up were the wings. Each wing is made up of two pieces, and they are very large pieces. While impressive looking, they did have very large attachment points to the sprue. 

20180122_181236.jpg

There were also some large ejector pin marks that needed to be sanded down to make sure the wings went together properly.

20180122_182405.jpg

I taped and clamped the two pieces together used Tamiya Extra Thin cement to glue them together.

20180122_221627.jpg

As you can see in the photo below, there is a large gap in the wings where the two pieces meet.  

20180122_221632.jpg

This wasn't a huge issue, just an annoyance. I filled it with Squadron Green Putty and sanded it down smooth.

20180221_121602.jpg

A quick rescribe of the panel lines and the wings were finished.