Officially known as the Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero Fighter (Zeke). This is a small kit, consisting of two large sprues and one small clear sprue. Once I got moving, this kit didn't take any time at all to put together.
With almost every aircraft, construction starts in the cockpit/. The detail here is wonderful for a 1/72 scale kit. There are a lot of small parts. I painted everything with Tamiya XF-71 Cockpit Green then dry briushed the details using a metallic paint.
A few details were painted with Tamiya X-18 Semi-gloss Black per the instructions. I then applied the instrument panel decals and the decal for the harness. The back half of the fuselage interior was masked off and painted with a mix of Tamiya's clear green and metallic blue.
The two halves fo the fuselage were then glued together. I had a very small seam line to remove on the top of hte fuselage, but other than theat the fit was beautiful.
Next I worked on the engine. I didn't spend too much time here because the detail would be hidden when everything was assembled. The piston cylinders were painted X-18 Semi-Gloss Black and the center part of the engine was painted with a mix of Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue and XF-12 J.N. Grey. I dry brushed the engine with a metallic paint to highlight the detals.
I painted the engine cowlibng wiht X-18 Semi Gloss Black and glued the engine in.
Next I attached the wings. These went on with perfectly with virtually zero cleanup needed. One quick pass with a sanding stick along the edge of the wings and I was done.
I masked the front windscreen and used the closed canopy to mask off the cockpit. I will be using the two piece open cockpit canopy, which was masked and painted separately. The Zero was painted using Tamiya XF-70 Grey Green.
I let the paint dry for 24 hours, then masked off the landing gear wells and painted them with the same clear green adn metallic blue mix used before.
I also painted the landying gear bay doors at this time too.
I glued on the engine cowling and used Pledge to gloss coat the model to prep it for decaling.
The decals went on with no hiccups. I used a coat of Solvaset to get them to sink into the very fine panel lines.
I added a second layer of Pledge, then threw on a generous coat of the Flory Models grey wash. I let this dry then rubbed it off. This brought out the panel lines and added a light coat of dirt to the model. I used the Tamiya Weathering Master pigments to add a small amount of soot around the guns and the exhaust vents.
I added the landing gear, and the landing gear bay doors, then applied a flat coat using Vallejo Matte Varnish. I glued on the canopy adn that was it for the bulk of construction.
There were two more finishing details that I needed to do before this model was complete. I painted the navigation lights Gloss Red and green.
And finally, I used some fly fishing line (made by a company called UNI-Caenis) for the antenna wire. This is a very fine line that I use for rigging ships. You can attach it loose then tighten it up with smoke - I use incense.
And with that final touch, the Zero is finished.